Even though this day is always hard, it does get easier. Very fittingly, for those who know our family and knew Dad, I spent time by myself out on Mom's deck early this morning. Sitting in the same chair, looking out at the same trees as I did with him so many times, even to the end. I remembered what Dad was like, looked at his pictures, laughed and cried. I love it that with every note he wrote me he always told me how proud he was of me, how much he loved me, signed them "daddy boy" and without fail, had "Roll Tide" somewhere on the note!!! That was my daddy for you. I wish my sweet friends in Macon could have known him. And as I heard Joe and Maddie come down the stairs this morning and heard her chattering away, my heart longed for my children to have known the love of their Grandfather.
I was reading in Randy Alcorn's book, Heaven, and he was talking about the nature of the eternal heaven. I was struck by Revelation 21: 23, "The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp." How amazing it will be to fully behold the glory of God. It brings me great peace to know that in God's goodness, mercy and love, Dad is experiencing that now.
7 comments:
Man Suz, you never cease to bless me!
I am so thankful for you and that I got to know your dad. Noah and Maddie will have a ball with him in heaven one day. love you
Oh, Susie...so many times I've wondered what your dad was like. Would he like us? Would he enjoy visiting with us the way your mom seems to?
I was praying for you this morning, hoping that today was a good day for you, that you got to spend some good time by yourself remembering.
oh suz....your sweet dad! I can picture where we were when you found out that he had cancer, and what an adventure to glorify God it was from there! Your Dad was a special guy and God is, and continues to be, truly glorified by his life. And Mysti is right--your kids --all three--will LOVE playing the drums with him in heaven one day!! love you!
ok tears running down my face
I love you dear friend and am lifting you to our heavenly father
thanks for sharing these sweet moments with us!
Susie - I loved reading all of your beautiful words about your dad and as I read them, my mind can't help but wander back to our college days and seeing his bigger-than-life smile and all I can do is smile too (with a lump in my throat)! But you're grace never ceases to amaze me at how you have handled this all in stride with God walking by your side! I can only envision the smile on his face in heaven as he watches you and your family every second of every day! I love you and miss you!
Oh Suz, I'm in tears. I miss your sweet Dad, too. Thanks for sharing your heart and thoughts about him. I love all of the pictures. So glad you got to go to Jacksonville this weekend. Sorry we couldn't catch up.
Such a sweet post, Suz! We all miss your Dadddy Boy! Only he would drive all the way to Tuscaloosa to bring a violin for his daughter and her friends to make a Dixie Chick video! He was proud of you no matter what you were doing. I'm so glad you were able to go to Jacksonville.
Post a Comment