Everything went really well for Sadie's birth. It was slower than I had anticipated. We got checked into the hospital the night of the 26th. We had wonderful nurses during our time at the hospital that took great care of us. I got my antibiotics and they started my pitocin around 4 a.m. I was still at 2 cm at this point. At 8 they gave me my second dose of antibiotics and Jeri, our wonderful midwife who delivered both Noah and Madeline, broke my water at 8:45. I was having contractions every 2-3 minutes and was 3 cm and 75% effaced. Now for some drama, at 10 a.m. I got my epidural. All was going well, I was sitting on the side of the bed holding onto Joe, the lady was saying that she was just pulling out the needle when Joe starts walking back from me and then boom...he is on the floor! My sweet Joe has passed out cold on the floor! It is hysterical now but at the time I was freaked out. His eyes rolled back in his head, his mouth was hanging open and his legs were shaking like a seizure. The poor guy fell flat on his back and was out for 30-45 seconds, but thankfully on the way down fell into a nurse behind him and the anaesthesiologist (the one NOT putting in my epidural) saw him going down and helped break the fall. So I immediately start bawling because he looked so awful...and couldn't stop crying! Everybody was so sweet and funny about it but I guess through all the emotion of the day that was all it took for me! Joe felt terrible about the whole thing but it did make for a good story! I think he wanted to prove that he was going out with a bang as well!!! I basically didn't progress from 11-1, holding steady at 4 cm. And in one hour, from 1-2, I dilated 4- 10 cm, and was ready to push at 2. However, just like Madeline's birth, our Moms were waiting on our friend to come and babysit while they came to the hospital. Jeri and all the nurses were very gracious to us and allowed us to wait for 20 minutes while they arrived. The baby was doing great so that made it possible. So there we are, all the room is set up, everyone is gloved and robed, my legs are firmly together so that the baby won't pop out... and Mimi and Gammie are flying down the road, running through the hospital and security was on standby to let them in immediately! It was stressful for me because I didn't want them to miss it and every time a contraction came I was holding my breath, hoping the baby wouldn't be born yet! Needless to say, the grandmothers made it and Sadie was born at 2:28 p.m. after three pushes. Jeri let Joe deliver Sadie. He held her head and helped guide it out and then caught her! He was the first person to say "It's a GIRL!" It was so exciting and special to see Joe holding our daughter, chord and all. That is him in the top right picture, but Picasa of course cut his head off!
We have felt so loved by our family and friends. It is truly overwhelming to be blessed with such amazing people in our lives. I am so thankful that our Mom's were able to be a part of their granddaughters birth. They have been a huge help with the other two as well. Many of our friends came to visit us in the hospital and since we have been home. It is so touching to see people bringing gifts to Noah and Madeline. It means so much to us because this is such a huge change in their world and these little touches make them feel special and included. So thank you for loving us and our family.
Coming Home...We came home on Wednesday, January 28th around 4 p.m. We were going to stay another night but I couldn't sleep at the hospital so we figured it would be best to get home since everything was going good with Sadie. She did great in the car and was welcomed home by her big brother and sister, Mimi and Gammie. The kids were thrilled to see her and came running over to greet her. Noah wanted to show her his cars and introduced them "this is lightening mcqueen, this is the batmanmobile, and this is the king"! It is funny to see how they relate to her...showing her his favorite things is a good step!
Since being home we have help from my mom this week and Gammie is coming back on Sunday for the next week. It has been wonderful to have the help. Noah and Madeline are doing great with the baby, but struggling a bit with each other and us! It is obvious there is a change in the house so there behavior is normal, however frustrating for us! You can continue to pray for them as they adjust. Sadie is mainly sleeping and nursing. She likes to be held at night so that has been a challenge, but Joe and I are making a great team...GO Team Lovekamp! I will be sad for him to go back to work next week. Sadie had her first "bath" today by Mimi as is tradition and I must say that a baby with hair is wonderful! I didn't know what to do with it! She is very sweet and holding her makes me wonder what I was so nervous for!
So I know this was way long and if you made it to the bottom I am impressed! I love having the blog for our family to go back and read and see how the Lord has been so faithful to us. We are blessed beyond measure.
"The Lord has done great things for us and we are filled with joy." Psalm 126:3



7 comments:
GIRL...you are on a ROLL and I LOVE IT!!!! The birth story was great! I can't believe that about Joe. I'm glad things are going as well as expected. Love all the pics too...Sadie is too cute!
Oh...., this makes me want to have another one! What, wait a minute, am I kidding myself?! Let's see how you do with three in a few months then we'll see about that?! With all that to say, glad Joe's okay and you look great. I wish I could see little Sadie soon! Yay for grandmas - get some sleep! Love ya!
Oh my goodness...you didn't tell me about Joe! That sounds like something I would have done! Ha! That is hilarious...but I completely understand your bawling! Glad he pulled it together and was able to deliver Sadie! :)
Such great pictures. I just love Sadie's precious cheeks in these pictures. Glad y'all are doing well and that Noah and Madeline are great big siblings!
congratulations! your family is beautiful and you look great after childbirth! not fair =)
praise the Lord for healthy babies!
Such great details....thanks for sharing!:) She is so beautiful----you are right, there is nothing like holding a newborn!:) We are so happy for you Lovekamps....Love you!
You are absolutely right--God has been so faithful. I think back to Athens days and the dream of a baby was unceasing. Now, look at your beautiful family. Hillarious (not in a mean way of course) about Joe smacking the floor and unbelievably sweet that he was able to deliver little Sadie. Loved the story! You can coach me when it's my turn. Love you!
Post a Comment