11/12/08

Simple Mom and Jesse Tree

I found the greatest blog through Julia called Simple Mom. I have loved reading it! She has such great, simple advice on household planning, menus, kid stuff, holiday planning, budgeting, etc... I really hope you check it out. My favorite is her Household Management Notebook and her Christmas project called a Jesse Tree. I need any help getting (and staying) organized. I am very excited to start my HM Notebook. I already feel more on top of things!

I really want to encourage you to check out the Jesse Tree. Simple Mom explains it really well on her site and how to do it so I won't even try! But, basically it is a way to help our children understand the meaning of Christmas through the chronological order of Creation to the birth of Christ. You hang an ornament on a small tree (I am going to use a mini table top tree) that corresponds to that day's verse and bible story. It is basically like an Advent calendar. Just go to Simple Mom and read! I promise it will be worth the time! She even includes the links to the devotions and I found another Mom that added stories from children's bibles to go along with that day. For the most part, all the work is done for you. You just have to get the ornaments. Several of my friends and I are going to do this together and make them. I am also buying ones that I see. Michael's has many of the ornaments you need for 25 cents and you just paint them. Hobby Lobby is also having a 50% off sale on their Cmas ornaments!

I am so looking forward to starting this tradition for our family. I know it will help prepare my heart as well as we celebrate our Saviour's birth!

4 comments:

The Idea Girl said...

Growing up, we always had a Jesse Tree. It's a very special tradition!

Loren Rae

Maggie Pelton said...

I'm so glad you're enjoying simple mom!! I'm so glad you're doing the Jesse Tree, too!! We're going to do it this year, but my time is running out to get everything done. I would love if you would pass on the devotionals that y'all are doing. I have some rough ones from all over the internet, but if you do some personalized ones I'd love them!! I have lots to catch you up on, let's talk when we have a minute. NI is coming sooner than expected.

The Idea Girl said...

This is the book we grow up using.

The Advent Jesse Tree
By: Dean Meador Lambert

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=7009081&event=61984SBF%7C122589%7C101260

The author is a family friend, so we first used all the devotionals before it was published. It also comes with ornament suggestions.

Rachel said...

Suz...

We made a Jesse Tree with my 2nd grade class and it was such a joy!
I used the same book mentioned below (by Dean Meador Lambert). It is so much fun to teach about Jesus' family line and see how our Savior was promised to us from the beginning of time! Sounds like a great family tradition and I look forward to seeing how "simple mom" does it!! Love you.....